<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, June 14, 2004

Eventful summer in Europe 

The M's win! Jo~el finally got a win in two months! Against... the Expos! The M's once again piled up half a win streak needed to bring the Optimist back. Well, that's all I'm going to say about that for now. :-p

There're bigger things happening this summer in Europe, with the European Championship (soccer -- a big deal to everyone outside of the U.S.) underway in Portugal and the Olympic Games in Greece not long after. Greece grabbed the headlines in Portugal though, by upsetting the hosts 2-1 in the opening match. Then yesterday, the highest profile match to have taken place so far, France came from behind in the dying minutes (2 goals in injury time) to see off England -- my favorite national team, 2-1. Beckham's missed penalty has to be a key turning point as England would probably have sealed the match at that point. Though the team I like lost, there's a mixed feeling for me because the French team's coach, Jacques Santini, will take the helm at my favorite team Tottenham Hotspur after the tournament. I'm hopeful that he will lead Spurs to contend after what seemed like an eternity of underachievements. That being said, even though I'm not a France supporter, I do hope to see them do reasonably well.
It's too bad that all the coverage I can get of the tournament is only what I read from the official web site. There's no TV broadcast of the event other than pay-per-view. I wonder if the Mariners one day become a dynasty like the Yankees, would the money-hungry management make a lot of the M's games on pay-per-view only?

Comments: Post a Comment