<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, August 14, 2004

It's yesterday's news, but... 

Even though I skipped a few days on posting yet again, I believe I should at least say something about the two big news about the M's that came out last week.

First, Edgar's retiring at the end of the season. Since I only came to the States in the summer of 96 and only started following baseball in 97, I wasn't fortunate enough to have witnessed the magic of 95 and the defining double that highlights Edgar's career. Though it's easy to see how much Edgar has done for this team, has meant for this team, and that "he is the Seattle Mariners" for almost 2 decades. I suppose his achievements and value to the baseball world have already been well covered by everyone, so I don't think I need to say any more about that. I do have a couple of things I'd like to say though, and these are by no means meant to be negatively taken....
Seeing how Edgar's performances are this season after posting fantastic and consistent career numbers year to year, it seems like maybe time and age has finally caught up with him, and it seems to be a good time at the end of this season for such a stellar career to conclude. Considering the aspect of him being a player this year alone, I actually believed that it might've been good for him to call it quits after last year. Though it made sense (and I wasn't aware of) that he would play on, and go on to collect milestone hits like his 300th HR and 500th double. It's just highly unfortunate that he has to play his last year on such a lousy team, while also seeing his numbers not measuring up to the "usual Edgar", as a way many has put. When all's said and done, I'm hoping hard that he'll be inducted to the Hall of Fame. Edgar Martinez is truly a special and unique player. I'm glad that I have the chance to have been able to root for one such as he on my favorite team in my time.

The other piece of news was also bad news for the M's, as both Eddie Guardado and Rafael Soriano will go under the knife and miss considerable time. This topic has also been well documented as well, so no need for me to say much more. I only wonder out of the group of "youth" arms getting called up, if when Aaron Taylor pitches well with his comeback and if he gets called up in September, if he'd get some consideration for the closer role, since I believe he spent quite some time doing that in the minors....

Comments: Post a Comment